Saturday, September 20, 2008

I swear this is it

Ok, I'll try and make this the last of it. I swear. I'm trying. At first I thought it had been Sarah Palin that was getting to me, but it's people too. I don't mean all Palin supporters, of course, but there's definately something about people in the U.S. that still scaares me. Yes, I go to NYU. Am I a Democrat? No. Am I a Republican? No. I've always considered myself in the middle or undecided so that I have more freedoms to make polical choices. I think it's obvious what my decision is for this coming election, though. My friend invited me to a group on facebook called "Students Against Sarah Palin." Obviously, considering the nomination is fairly new, the group is fairly new, but it already has more than 3,000 members. Several members recieved this message:

"Figures you go to NYU..where WELFARE and American disassociation reign surpreme! Liberals are killing this country. You did'nt learn a thing from 9-11, right in your own "hood". Well maybe next time some Towel Head, or Communist or Mexican kill 10,000 people in one bombing then you'll get some real perspective...what are you 24?"

Rose Donlon
316 Westwood Rd,Lancaster, NY 14086
(716) 686-0549

Look, I don't argue with differing political beliefs. You want to vote for Palin? Go ahead. It's every citizen's right to vote and make their own decisions. But the note isn't something about politics for me, it's just sick racism. I can be 20 and know that. I was 13 when 9/11 happened and I knew it then too. We don't need a right-wing racist from upstate New York to say this. I know what happened to my community, my friends' parents in the towers, or how to think when it was so close to me.

We've got enough perspective.

No comments: