Tuesday, July 28, 2009

To do...

I want to congratulate myself for once again slacking. I’ve told myself that I’ve made a commitment to write and I haven’t done that. Wow, scare of commitment for something as small as keeping up with a blog? Sad truth right there.
I know I did write a bit of a rambling piece a few weeks ago and about a day or so later, deleted it. That’s fine. Sometimes it’s okay to spit out emotions, but it wasn’t really the place to do it. Luckily nobody really reads this anyone.
Thankfully, I’m finding that I’m in a much better place than I was in before. Things have started to turn slightly. The frustration (and depression, which I hate admitting to) seems to have passed. I’m trying to focus my energy back to my work.
I crewed on two projects this weekend as an assistant director and as a unit production manager. I had both my share of laughs and frustration, but I’ve come to realize that I think I might actually enjoy what I do. I’ve been on about 5 hours of sleep a night for the past five nights. I woke up at a 5:45 this morning to get ready for the train back to NYC this morning and I feel oddly awake and energized. Maybe after exhausting myself, I just appreciate the sleep that I did get.
I’ve recently started excavating the fat away from my face and discovered traces of cheekbones. I’m hoping that a continued excavation will uncover other such features.
My proposal for Berlin seems to have hit a roadblock at the moment. I hope to restart it again in the coming week or so and send it to a few professors for review (and hopefully have them help me find some funding). For those interested, the “Berlin Proposal” at the moment consists of a game plan and well, a proposal to send me and a small group of students of varying disciplines (history, media, film) to Berlin for a week in November in order to create a documentary piece and possible a written “thesis” on the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall and the start of reunification. Just think that in some ways, this “new” Germany is only 20 years old. I’m older than Germany! Not really.
I completed a rough cut of my film and I’m hoping to hand it over to another editor to try their hand at it with the hope of having a more concise piece.
Do you like how this is basically an extended “to do” list?
What’s left to do? Start writing on Sociology of Musical Theatre. Yeah, that semi-thesis idea I’ve been working on should really get started. I’ll have to dig up whatever notes I did take when I saw musical theater in Europe. The list was:
“Elisabeth” in Berlin and Budapest (two incredibly different productions)
“Rebecca” in Vienna
“The Phantom of the Opera” in London (trust me, there is a reason I saw the show overseas)
“My Fair Lady” in Berlin (a VERY modernized version of the classic show – I briefly wrote about this when I wrote about Theater des Westens)

I missed/passed on “Rudolf: Affair Mayerling” when I was in Vienna for financial reasons and also because I was traveling with my dad who lacks interest in theatre and we wanted to make the most of our time together in Vienna.

And how about I post a picture too like I’ve said I’ll try and do?
A church (I forget which of the many) from Budapest, Hungary.

1 comment:

FZW said...

that picture is amazing and whoo go slacker! see you at mcc