Sunday, October 26, 2008

Arrival in Paris

So let’s just say the experience on the sleeper train I was so excited for was well, interesting. The ride was pleasant and as one would expect about a sleep like that, I had awoken several times during the night only to finally get comfortable and sleeping rather deeply as we were approaching the station in Paris. C’est la vie. Fuck yeah, I said it. I probably spelled it wrong though.
Anyway after some much needed confusion on my own behalf as I wandered aimlessly around Paris Est for some time and tried desperately to call my friend though I could not connect, I finally decided to suck it up, buy a metro ticket, and head out. By the way, it was still before sunrise. I take the subway to Opéra, because let’s face it, I would like to see the Palais Garnier once in my life instead of the Vegas imitation of it. To be honest, I thought the Palais Garnier was probably located somewhere else and decided that I would go out on a whim to the Opéra subway stop. Perfection. I get out of the subway, turn around and behold, the Palais Garnier. Beautiful. I know, I keep reiterating the fact, but to be honest it was one of those great moments: the sun was rising over Paris and hitting the building in morning light. That’s pretty fucking gorgeous, admit it.
This is then followed by more confused walking until I got here, well, here for the time being. That’s a Starbucks on a street that I believe is Rue de Seze. I have no idea. But realistically I can’t get internet right now and like most of my posts, this is written ahead of time. So at about 9:00 am in Paris, I was/am/etc sitting in a Starbucks (I know what you’re thinking about that too) without internet with 10% battery left and an electrical outlet that won’t work. But that’s ok. I’m here. Sore, confused, maybe frustrated, relieved…but here nonetheless.

No comments: