Friday, October 31, 2008

Backpacking: Stuttgart

So where to from Paris? Well, my original plans had changed. As one may recall (if I ever wrote it):
London
Salzburg
Munich
Paris
Nice
Geneva
Well, we scratch out Nice and Geneva and replace it with Stuttgart and Vienna. Vienna I was excited about. Stuttgart I knew nothing about. But travel from Nice and Geneva and back to Berlin was mad expensive. The trip alone from Geneva to Berlin would have been more expensive than my combined travels to Stuttgart, Vienna, and back to Berlin the way I booked. So I went to Stuttgart. Here are my recommendations about Stuttgart: Don't go unless you reallz have something in mind planned. It was rainy and basically miserable. It's an industrial town with little to nothing to do and as my RA/TA in Berlin said, "Stuttgart is a city with a lot of money, but with little taste." He was right.
Adding to Stuttgart's already gray atmosphere was the horrible weather I was cursed with. Nothing but rain. There aren't really any hostels either so I forced to book a hotel falsely advertised as a walk from the Bahnhof...nope, it was more like a 30 minute U-Bahn ride and 15 minute walk from the Bahnhof. Oh well. I spent most of my time there because it was warm and dry.
I finally managed to venture out for a little bit because I was just beyond bored and hungry. I went down to the Bahnhof and found out that about a block away is a pretty active shopping center. Of course, I bought nothing. I bought iced tea, does that count? I did get myself a really great meal though. I went to a place that I'm almost ashamed may be a chain, but it was delicious.
Best steak and baked potato of my life. The steak was perfectly cooked and the restaurant has its own special sour cream concoction. Serve with a small thing of coleslaw, which too was delicious and I never eat coleslaw and a huge piece of garlic bread. Wash down with Bionade.
Oh and by the way, add a check mark to my to-do list for my entire time in Europe for trying Bionade.

The Stuttgart List:
Find something to do [check]

Schlossplatz is part of the shopping area. It's one of the touristy buildings of Stuttgart. I saw it in the rain. That counts.
More on my current location, Vienna soon.

No comments: