Friday, October 31, 2008

Backpacking: Paris (cont.)

Okay, so I said that I would continue to say a little more about Paris considering I had such little time and space to do so yesterday. Paris was amazing. It's a beautiful city and I was able to catch up with an old friend from high school too. All around good time. Did I mention making conversation with Americans at a café? Underfed and overtired, I wandered the streets of Paris looking for something both small and cheap to eat. One because I didn't one to spend money, but two to not eat a heavy meal that would weigh me down for the rest of the day.

That being said and it only being about 11 in the morning, I found a small café where I heard an American couple talking to another American man. I plopped myself down, feeling strangely homely amongst the four of us considering we were the only ones occupying the café at the time. The couple was just leaving and I ended up making conversation with a guy a little bit older than my dad from Portland. We talked about my studies, about Paris and Berlin, about how his wife works mostly in Paris hence the travelling he or his wife get to do a lot. He gave me a few recommendations about what to do in Paris on a budget and then as he was about to leave, paid for my bill. Damn, should have ordered something more expensive. Just kidding. I politelz protested, and he argued with, "I was once a student too."
"Fun times being a student in the recession."
"All the more reason you should let me pay. You're still paying for school."
Done.
Anyway the day continues with me mostly wandering aimlessly around Paris somehow becoming more accompanied with it than I thought would be possibly. When I did finally meet up with my friend later that evening I felt like a Paris pro...despite the fact that I had no idea what anything was called that I had actually walked to.
We grabbed dinner, which was great. I think anyone living in London should make the trip to Paris just to eat because it's nearly the same price, if not cheaper, and the food doesn't suck. Yeah, London, I said it. Take it. Oh, did I mention we got desert on the Champs-Élysées? Yeah, we're just that classy.
I found the people...French. I lie. Overall I found them incredibly pleasant except for one woman who wouldn't sell me a few things because she didn't want to break a 20 bill for my 4 Euro purchase. Once I produced 4 Euros in coins, she was more than pleasant and obliged. She was indeed French.
Paris was stunning and it may be best to let the pictures do the talking...once I'm able to get them posted. Give me a day or two. It's hard to say everything about a place. I know it was great so that's that, I suppose. Pics to come soon.
Paris List:
Eat croissant [check]
Eat brie [check]
Eat baguette [check]
Wear a beret [check]
Smoke a Gauloises cigarette [check]
Drink wine [check]
Listen to one Jacques Brel song [check]
Eat crepe [check]

No comments: