Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Backpacking: Salzburg

A quick update on London. Crumpet were not accomplished. We can cry about it later.

But Salzburg had a rather short list:
Find some form of Edelweiss [check]
Watch at least ten minutes of the Sound of Music [check] (I ended up watching over half)

I love Salzburg.

I don't know what it is about Salzburg that just makes me completely in love with it. I left friends in London at about 2:15 in the morning to take the hour long bus to Stansted and then the 6:30 flight to Salzburg. Horrible with shitty sleep, but once I hit Salzburg it didn't matter. After all was said in done with arrivals and S-Bahn I arrived at the hostel at about 10:30 and considering I was a half hour early to check in, I went to the lounge, made cheap conversations with some Aussies and watched the first half of "The Sound of Music." I'm not ashamed to admit it. I was tired. And CHECK on my list of stuff to do.

As for that form of Edelweiss. Apparently there's something here called Edelweiss Beer. I held back though, not wanting to both bust my budget or drink really. I had a half a small beer last night and that was just enough with my semi-splurge food.

More to the point about my arrival is that I had been expecting to sleep when I got to the hostel and perhaps venturing out a little later, but once I got in, I was fine. I locked my bag up and hit the town. I'd say I was on my feet for a good 5 hours or so yesterday. Stopping to sit for about ten minutes to have a cappuccino. More walking, more walking. And I loved it all. It didn't matter to me that I was more than likely dehydrated, under-slept, and under-fed the entire day. Come to think of it, here was the menu for the whole of yesterday:
2:30: Apple
3:50: Cappuccino
7:45: Dinner
And that was my whole day of eating yesterday. I felt a little hungry maybe once. And that was it. Not bad considering I hadn't eaten since about 7 the night before for my pre-show dinner. More on that another time.

I can't help but feel at least just a little sad about leaving Salzburg. There's more things I want to do here, but it will have to wait another time. I'm going to come back. Beyond its complete and utter beauty, I just have this sense of peace about it. Yes,"Sound of Music" makes it happy-go-lucky, but it's beautiful and pleasant without that. The weather was just beyond amazing that I wished I was wearing short-sleeves instead of my layered outfit yesterday. So yes, I stripped down to my undershirt and took on the city, walking along the banks of the Salzach, climbing up to one of the many bell towers that overlook the city. Stunning, everything about it. It could be pouring rain and I'd probably still think it was great, but of course the weather was more than perfect.

Ah, well, I will put some pictures up when I can. Of course, I left the wire to my card reader back in Berlin. Pictures will come when they can.

No comments: