Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Haiku? Retro

Retro thought - a few weeks ago...because of the procrastination.

I walked out of work.  There’s something about my mood that’s just exhausted.  The fluorescent lights on the seventh floor at work get to you after awhile.  The sky just feels strange when you step out into it.

It’s humid.  It’s the rain though.  I’m no further than a block away from work when I hear the muffled sounds of a car radio.  It’s loud too.  One would expect rap or heavy metal, but it’s not.  It’s sweeter.  I walk by.

There’s an older man in the car, waiting almost impatiently on the driver’s side and the notes are suddenly crystal clear.

“Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens…”

Julie Andrews singing “My Favorite Things.”

I can’t help but let it brighten things up a bit.  The strange comedy of what is usually painfully loud music seems incredibly innocent when it’s Julie Andrews singing Rodgers and Hammerstein.

Friends and I have imagined this as a haiku.

Pavement Glistening

Music is pounding loudly

Raindrops on roses

Is that right? 5/7/5. Forget it.  I always sucked at poetry anyway.  Here’s the thought as I had intended anyway.

It’s raining out.  Miserable.  Music pounds loudly on the window of the car.  An old man sits impatiently in the driver’s seat.  Julie Andrews singing “My Favorite Things.”  I smile.  It’s a good day.

No comments: